School of Engineering
- A rare opportunity to join BRITElab, a world-class laboratory for bioimaging and biomedical engineering
- Fixed term full time until 31 December 2022, with possibility of extension
- Located at Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research on the Fiona Stanley Hospital campus
- Salary range: Level A $72,780 – $97,946 p.a. (pro rata) plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
BRITElab is based in the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research and is also a part of the Department of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, located within the School of Engineering at UWA. BRITElab works in the area of biomedical optics, specifically, on the development of advanced imaging systems for use in a range of clinical applications. In addition, the Department performs world-leading research in areas such as microelectronics, control systems and signal processing. This is complemented by excellent research in biomedical engineering performed in the Department of Mechanical and the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering.
About the opportunity
As a Research Associate in the Department of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, based in the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research on the Fiona Stanley Hospital campus, you will be a member of BRITElab and perform research in the field of clinical imaging through clinical studies in breast cancer and other pathologies.
This role provides the opportunity to work collaboratively and build up your research networks. You will work closely with pathologists, clinicians, surgeons and BRITElab colleagues to implement studies, select suitable breast cancer specimens and to test the suitability of probes developed in BRITElab for use in surgery.
The important research you do will contribute to the successful completion of a research contract in place between UWA and OncoRes Medical, a start-up company focussed on the development of optical imaging solutions for surgery.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A degree in Science, Nursing, Health Science, Health Informatics or a relevant discipline. Completion of a higher degree is desirable.
- Research experience in a laboratory and/or a clinical setting with a focus on either histology, tumour biology, surgery or cancer.
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a group
Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. Please see the position description prior to applying.
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: 11:55 pm AWST, Sunday 6 March 2022
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.