- Full time fixed term until December 2024
- Utilise your neuroanatomy, histology, and neuropathology experience to work on mouse and human post-mortem tissue
- Base Salary $78,077 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Medical Sciences explores the intricate science behind the human body and the causes and treatments of dieses. Our school contributes a wide range of courses in Medicine, Science, Dentistry and Pharmacy. Produces high-impact research across a range of themes, including Neuroscience, Chronic Diseases, Education Innovation, Infection Immunity & Inflammation, Molecular Bioscience, Musculoskeletal Science, Biomedical Informatics and Digital Health; and plays a key part in the Brain and Mind Centre.
We are seeking a Research Assistant to do histology based to work on mouse and human post-mortem tissue. You will have a solid knowledge of neuroanatomy and neuropathology, with skills with microscopy and histology.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- assist with the design, development, and documentation of suitable research protocol
- ensure that research protocols are adhered to, and report any adjustments that might be necessary
- provide guidance and/or advice on regulations, policies, and procedures in relation to research project undertaken
- oversee daily operations of the research laboratory, providing technical support for affiliated researchers and postgraduate research students, teaching research methods to visiting scientist and research fellows and assisting junior staff with research methods.
To be successful in this role, you have:
- a relevant PhD or Masters qualification, or experience working in a clinical pathology lab
- have experience in a research-intensive environment, or an interest in teaching and working in academia
- have experience with using basic statistical analysis tools and reporting on research findings
- have excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, with sound negotiating and conflict resolution skills, and a demonstrated level of tact and discretion with day-to-day operational matters, and can work with a diverse range of people
- have exceptional and demonstrable organisational skills, with a high level of attention to detail.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Esra Yavuzcehre, Recruitment Operations, by email to [email protected].
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 12 June 2022 11:59 PM