- Salary Package: Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Level A) base salary $95,706 – $102,570, Research Fellow (Level B) base salary $108,111 – $127,913, plus 17% employer’s superannuation and annual leave loading. Pro-rata rates apply for part-time appointments
- Appointment type: Full-time or part-time, fixed-term position for 2 years (with the possibility of extension)
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location (The Australian Institute of Health Innovation is wheelchair accessible)
We are seeking experienced and enthusiastic candidates with strong health services and mixed methods research skills to participate in projects focused on improving medication safety in residential aged care.
The successful candidates will be required to:
- Participate in studies to design and evaluate, clinical decision support in electronic medication systems to improve medication management in residential aged care
- Undertake research to design and assess an intervention to provide residents/families/carers with real-time notification of medication changes
- Participate in the review of literature and preparation of research manuscripts, presentations and reports
- Engage with project partners and consumers
We are seeking talented, enthusiastic researchers, with strong health services and mixed methods research skills to participate in an exciting program of research relating to medication safety through the use of digital interventions in aged care. The role will involve close liaison with a wide range of research partners, both internal and external to the university.
The successful applicants will be interested in working in a multi-disciplinary team and engaging with a broad range of stakeholders. They will be able to work independently and demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking about research questions.
The Faculty of Medicine, Health and Human Sciences is ambitiously pushing the boundaries of progressive thinking and challenging what’s possible to solve some of the big issues of our time, both nationally and on a global scale. The Faculty forms part of MQ Health, an integrated academic health sciences enterprise which incorporates Macquarie University Hospital and primary and speciality clinics. We have active research programs in neurosciences (especially motor neuron disease, neurological rehabilitation and the clinical neuroscience of pain), cancer medicine, and vascular science, amongst others. Our Faculty hosts the Australian Institute of Health Innovation (AIHI), an internationally acclaimed powerhouse researching health systems, e-health and patient safety.
The Centre for Health Systems and Safety Research, one of the core research centres within AIHI, has a multi-stream program of research which focuses on investigating the outcomes and safety of health services. The Centre has particular expertise in assessing the impact of information technologies and investigating the role of electronic health records and decision support in supporting improved health care delivery and health outcomes. The Centre’s research team is multi-disciplinary and applies a broad range of research techniques, from RCT designs to direct observations of clinical work.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position applicants are asked to provide a cover letter addressing the selection criteria below for the level (either A or B) at which you are applying and attach their curriculum vitae (including contact information for three referees) as part of the application process.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- A PhD or equivalent in a relevant discipline (e.g., health services research, health informatics, public health)
- Demonstrable skills in the design and execution of health care evaluation/intervention studies
- Demonstrated skills and experience in mixed methods research, with a strength in either qualitative study design, data collection and analysis and/or statistical analyses of health datasets using statistical software packages (e.g. SAS, Stat, R)
- Excellent oral and written, inter-personal and team communication skills
- Good knowledge of the Australian aged and/or health care system
- Publication track record in refereed journals
- Experience in evaluating or designing digital health interventions
Additional criteria for Research Fellow (Level B) applicants:
- Demonstrable skills in statistical modelling and analysis of large health datasets including proficiency in multilevel models
- Experience in managing and leading research projects
- Proven track record of leading health services research or evaluations of digital health interventions
- Experience in the aged care sector (Desirable)
Note: This position requires the completion of a criminal record check.
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Johanna Westbrook, Director, Centre for Health Systems and Safety Research, Australian Institute of Health Innovation at joha[email protected] or Dr Magda Raban [email protected].
General Recruitment Enquiries: Jasmine Xia, HR Administrator at [email protected]
Applications Close: 30 July 2022 at 11:55 pm. Interviews will be held on 4-5 August 2022.