Lecturer – Public Health
About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern Washington University, a regional, comprehensive public university with an enrollment of over 10,000 students, is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington, each governed by its own board of trustees. EWU’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 12,000 residents 16 miles southwest of Washington’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the innovative, energy-efficient Catalyst building and at Riverpoint, a campus shared with Washington State University. In addition, EWU programs can be found at select locations throughout the state, aligned with the needs of the community. Eastern contributes to the vitality of the region and the state through its wide array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees in over 100 fields of study, as well as applied doctorates in physical therapy and educational leadership, offering accessible pathways to career success and personal development to students of all socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
Tribal Land Acknowledgement
Eastern Washington University resides within the traditional homelands of the Spokane People and other tribes who are connected through their shared history of this region. This land holds their cultural DNA and it is their Ancestors who are here and bring forth the knowledge of this place—the knowledge that comes from the land.
The College of Health Science and Public Health and Eastern Washington University invite applications for a full-time lecturer in the accelerated online Master of Public Health (MPH) program at Eastern Washington University to start September 16, 2023. This is a full-time, 9-month per year special faculty appointment, based at the EWU Spokane Campus in Spokane Washington, the main EWU campus located in Cheney, Washington, or an approved remote location.
The MPH program is housed in the Public Health and Health Services Administration Department and the College of Health Science and Public Health (CHSPH). The department offers two fully online accelerated format graduate degrees, a Master of Public Health, and a Graduate Certificate in Public Health. The department also offers hybrid undergraduate programs that include Bachelor of Arts in Health Services Administration, a Bachelor of Arts in Health Services Administration – Long-term Care option, a Bachelor of Science in Health Informatics, a minor in Health Services Management, and a Graduate Certificate in Health Services Administration.
The college and department prepare students to help meet the growing market demand in the critical fields of health care and education. The college is home to several nationally accredited undergraduate and graduate programs with an increased focus on inter-professional education (IPE). As a premier college serving the educational needs of the health care practitioners, CHSPH includes nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, communication sciences and disorders, public health and health administration, wellness and movement sciences, dental hygiene, and Regional Initiatives in Dental Education (RIDE).
This position is responsible to teach graduate classes in the accelerated online public health program. The successful candidate will teach courses, mentor student research, and may perform service-related activities and scholarly activities if appropriate (not required). Lecturers follow all guidance from the collective bargaining agreement regarding their position. Teaching is the main responsibility. Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of learning outcomes.
On top of salary, the university offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses. For additional information regarding insurance benefits please see our Benefits page: https://inside.ewu.edu/hr/benefits/insurance/.
- Masters degree in Public Health or related field
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge relevant to teaching public health graduate courses
- Minimum of 2 years of experience teaching graduate level courses
- Experience in course development
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Basic computer skills including word processing and email
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Preference will be given to candidates who also offer:
- Doctorate degree in Public Health or terminal degree in a related field
- Experience teaching in an accelerated online format
- Knowledge of the local community relevant to developing practicum sites
- Experience working with under-served and minority populations
- Demonstrated skills to engage multiple constituencies for program support and collaboration
- Experience in managing and development of practicum experiences or relevant program experience
- Experience in providing student support services (i.e., assisting students with writing, Canvas usage)
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively
% of Time: 100
Responsibility / Duty: Typical workload for this position will involve approximately 45 credits per academic year, subject to departmental needs. The MPH lecturer will teach graduate courses to MPH majors in the accelerated online format. Depending on experience and interest, this position will also coordinate practicum experiences and participate in student research projects.Teaching also includes the following additional responsibilities as defined in the faculty CBA:
- Meet all scheduled classes
- Plan, organize and inform students of course content, texts, readings, assignments, attendance expectations and methods of evaluation including grading scales
- Schedule and attend office hours
- Turn in grades according to established deadlines
- Advise students who are declared majors on department, college, and University requirements and career opportunities.
Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of learning outcomes.
Typical lecturer duties include:
- Develop and teach courses assigned as part of faculty workload
- Work collaboratively with department, college, and university personnel to identify and address student and program needs and concerns
Practicum coordinator duties include:
- Develop and manage practicum sites
- Provide orientation to students to prepare them for practicum experience
- Advise students for practicum placement
- Provide support for students in preparing for practicum experiences
- Oversee student performance and provide support while in practicum placement
- Work collaboratively with the department Chair to maintain currency of practicum materials
- Use Canvas to communicate information to students
- Serve as the academic advisor for students when in practicum placements
- Track and monitor student progress while in practicum placements
Essential Function Indicator: Yes
Conditions of Employment:
To be considered eligible for appointment into the position, applicants must be available and able to start in the position no later than 9/16/2023.
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
COVID-19/MMR Requirement: All new employees must comply with EWU Immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs. COVID-19 Vaccination and Exemption Information link: https://inside.ewu.edu/hr/
Upon hire you must complete required DEI, Hazing, and Harassment and Title IX training, and any other federal, state and university mandated trainings. You can access the online training at https://inside.ewu.edu/hr/training/orientation/or complete the training in person or via Zoom. In person and Zoom training opportunities will be posted on InsideEWU and are listed on Human Resources’ https://inside.ewu.edu/hr/training/.
Salary Information: The expected salary upon hire is $59,402..
Posting Date: 02/16/2023
Open Until Further Notice: Yes
Screening to Begin: 03/16/2023
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal provided below. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu/postings/10145
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.