What You Should Know:
– The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) announced the appointment of Mona Calhoun, PhD, MS, Med, RHIA, FAHIMA, as its President/Chair for 2024.
– With 35 years of experience in the health information (HI) field, Calhoun brings a wealth of expertise and passion to lead AHIMA through this transformative time in healthcare.
A seasoned leader with a clear vision
Calhoun’s diverse background spans behavioral health, rehabilitation, acute care, and the outsourcing industry, giving her a holistic understanding of the HI landscape. Her commitment to AHIMA is evident through her long-standing involvement, serving on various committees and holding leadership positions within the Maryland Health Information Management Association and AHIMA itself. She emphasizes the crucial role of HI professionals in balancing the potential of technology with patient privacy and data stewardship, ultimately driving better health outcomes.
“Leading AHIMA during this time of breathtaking evolution in healthcare is an honor,” declared Calhoun. “Our unique position allows us to balance the tremendous power and potential of technology and data with our responsibility to every patient as stewards of their health information, ultimately improving outcomes. I am eager to collaborate with my esteemed Board colleagues and our newly appointed AHIMA Chief Executive Officer, Kevin Klauer, DO, EJD, FACEP, FACOEP, to shape the future of the HI industry and advance the AHIMA mission of empowering people to impact health®.
A collaborative spirit for a dynamic future
- Calhoun expressed her excitement to work alongside the newly appointed AHIMA CEO, Kevin Klauer, DO, EJD, FACEP, FACOEP, and the esteemed Board of Directors.
- Dr. Klauer echoed the sentiment, emphasizing their shared commitment to inspire innovation, achieve strategic goals, and navigate the ever-changing HI landscape.
Introducing the new Board members
- Maria Caban Alizondo, PhD, RHIT, FAHIMA, President/Chair-elect, brings a wealth of experience in leadership and strategic change management within the HI field.
- Tonya Bates, MSML, RHIA, adds valuable expertise in compliance and privacy, having served in leadership roles at the Ohio and Northeast Ohio Health Information Management Associations.
- Grissel Pabón, MS, RHIA, CDIP, CCS, CCS-P, brings a strong understanding of risk adjustment and coding, along with leadership experience in the Puerto Rico Health Information Management Association.
- Daniel Utech, MBA, RHIA, CHPS, FAHIMA, rounds out the new Board with his focus on healthcare technology innovation and a proven track record in leadership positions across various health information management associations.
The new Board joins existing members, including past president/chair Jennifer Mueller and speaker of the House of Delegates Debra Boppre, to form a robust and diverse leadership team Together, they will steer AHIMA’s mission to empower people to impact health® through the strategic use of health information and technology.